Play Golf Again – Find the best Golfing Injury Supports and Braces with Health and Care
With The Open Golf Championship in full swing and a new wave a amateurs picking up their clubs we find out which are the most common injuries golfers face and the best supports and braces to help.
Many golfers will be inspired to head out onto the fairway as they see their heroes tackle the course in Turnberry at the 138th Open Golf Championship but will be put off playing because of an old injury. Below we have compiled a list of what we have found to be the most common golfing injuries the best products on the market to help.
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome – Carpal Tunnel Syndrome is normally linked to a medical condition such as diabetes, thyroid disease and gout and is a repetitive stress disorder. Golf is not listed as a direct cause of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome however the repetitive use of the hands and wrists as seen in golf is certainly seen as a contributing factor. Carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS) is a relatively common condition that causes pain, numbness and a burning or tingling sensation in your hand and fingers. CTS is one of the most common conditions affecting the nerves of the hand. It is estimated that almost 5% of women and 3% of men have CTS. Most cases of CTS develop in people who are between 45-64 years of age.Products available for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome:
- Thermoskin Carpal Tunnel Brace with Dorsal Stay – The Additional dorsal splint protects the wrist from movements that can lead to Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.
- Thermoskin Carpal Tunnel Brace – Velcro locking straps together with a metal splint positioned at 25 degrees allows for increased circulation and provides the protection and support needed
Shoulder Pain – Shoulder pain in golfers is very common. The swinging action in golf is traumatic for many joints in the body, including the shoulder joint. One of the solutions to prevent this happening is taking a shorter back swing, though many golfers choose not to do this as they are worried it will affect the distance of the ball off the tee. Products available for Golf Shoulder Pain:
- Thermoskin Sports Shoulder Support – Provides protection, heat and support. Keeps shoulder warm and loose while playing sport.
- Paineaze Sport Spray and Roll-On – Powerful, effective, fast acting joint and muscle pain relief formula.
Knee Pain – Tiger Woods is a famous sufferer of knee pain as a result of playing golf. One of the most common health problems golfers experience is knee pain and injuries. Knee problems, whether minimal or serious, can be debilitating to the golfer and the golf game. The underlying issues for the knee pain can be a torn meniscus; knee arthritis (osteoarthritis), or kneecap pain (chondromalacia).Products available for Knee Pain
- Donjoy Everyday ACL Knee Brace – Donjoy’s most comfortable, low profile and easy to use knee brace. Recommended for mild ACL, MCL, and LCL instabilities. Ideal for activities of daily living and non-contact sports.
- Donjoy Trupull Advanced Knee Support – Designed to place a dynamic pull on the patella during knee extension to normalise tracking in the intracondylar groove and reduce anterior pain. Ideal support for patellofemoral malalignment, subluxation and dislocations.
Back Pain – golf can produce injuries to the low back and spine. One very common golf injury is low back pain (usually due to muscle strains and sprains). For the millions of people who have chronic, long-standing low back pain, golf can still be an enjoyable sport. The most common injuries from golf include:
- Muscle strains: typically occurs with rough or forceful golf swings or a sudden shift during the downswing
- Muscle and tendon attachment: generally occurs due to excessive use, accidents or swing abnormalities while playing golf
- Disc injuries: can occur from swinging abnormalities (note that this is usually due to a pre-existing disc lesion that is aggravated by golf)
Products available for Back Pain
- Donjoy Comfortform Back Support – Support for lower back injuries and the prevention of spinal overload during demanding daily activities.
- Harley Power Plus Support Belt – Ideal for heavy tasks, this support belt has additional side pulls and provides compressive support to the lower back.
Tennis Elbow or Golfer’s Elbow – Golfer’s Elbow or Medial Epicondylitis is a condition when the inner partof the elbow becomes painful and tender, usually as a result of a specific strain, overuse, or a direct bang.Sometimes no specific cause is found. The inner part of the elbow is painful and tender to touch. Movements of the elbow, and also movements which involve lifting, with the hand underneath, palm upwards, hurt. Products available for Golfers Elbow (Medical Epicondyltis)
- Donjoy Spider Pad Elbow Support – Unique honeycomb design allows comfortable movement while providing cushioning protection.
- Elbow Cryo Cuff – The Elbow Cryo/Cuff combines the therapeutic benefits of controlled cold compression to minimise haemarthrosis and swelling and reduce pain.
All of the products featured in this article are available from http://www.healthandcare.co.uk/